Friday, April 1, 2011

And So April 1 is...

April's Fools Day! Did you play any pranks today? My kids complained that I didn't make them an April Fools Day breakfast. An fake egg. Marshmellow creme with a yellow pudding "yolk".

But that didn't happen this morning.

So I gave them sponge cake after dinner.

They liked the icing.



Yuck! I wouldn't of even eaten the icing after the fork hit the sponge.

But I did make Hot Water Sponges.




Forgive the picture. It really is Hot Water Sponges and not fried chicken. Hot Water Sponges are a sponge cake, covered with a thin icing and then rolled in chopped-up peanuts. I have seen these cakes called Blarney Stones also.



Hot Water Sponge

1 1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour
3 t baking powder
4 eggs
3/4 C boiling water

Beat eggs well then add sugar. Beat well.
Add flour, baking powder and stir until mixed. Add hot water then vanilla. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

So there you have it--two kinds of sponges.

No comments:

Post a Comment